“I just wish I could have access to your training activity library.”
Every day our team of instructional designers develops training activities for our customers. Sometimes we look at training we’ve created in the past for inspiration. Sometimes we use Soapbox, the only rapid authoring tool for facilitated training. We often hear from people who follow this blog that they would like access to our library of training activities. We listened to that feedback and in this post, I’ve included links to hundreds of different training activities.
Many of these activities also live in Soapbox. The difference in Soapbox is that it won’t just be an interesting activity, but an activity that is tied to learning objectives and is ready for you to deliver online or in person.
Instructor-led Workshop Activities
Looking for inspiration for workshop activities that you can incorporate into your next training workshop? Some of these are Endurance Learning activities and some are from other training organizations that have published their ideas. Hopefully you find some new training workshop ideas as you explore these links!
- 20 training activities using a simple training model – These activities are broken down into the same model we use with our clients and in Soapbox. By following the Anchor, Content, Application, Future Use model you’ll find that your session is better structured to meet learning goals.
- 25 activities to make lecture-based programs active – This is a quick list of ideas for workshop exercises that can spice up boring lecture.
- 5 models to pull out of your hat on a moment’s notice – It is always good to have some emergency training activities!
- 12 instructor-led training activities for before, during and after training – While you may want to focus on the design of your training workshop, training (and more specifically learning) isn’t an event!
- 18 instructor-led training activities to engage learners – More activities to engage adult learners with videos to help you understand how to apply them.
- 4 activities for group problem solving – Activities targeted at problem solving. You’ll get the full instructions to implement (these may also be in Soapbox 😉)
- 15 brilliant large group games and workshop activities – Ready to apply some games to your training?
- 101 interactive training techniques – As the number suggests, this is a big list. Use it at your own risk.
- 63 team building activities that your team won’t roll their eyes at – If team building is your challenge, this list could help you come up with ideas to improve team dynamics.
5 Instructor-led Webinar Activities
No matter what you call them, Webinars are a big part of training initiatives. We’ve found some great resources to perk up your next Webinar.
- 5 webinar engagement strategies – These are some of our favorite approaches for Webinars.
Is it enough to have good training activities?
Whether you’re delivering training in-person or virtually, this blog post offers you a library of 292 training activities (I confess, some of these lists have overlap, but there are still a ton of activities here).
Activities alone, however, don’t make for amazing learning experiences. Some people actually prefer to sit through lecture than to go through an activity that doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the topic at hand. A little while back, my colleague Heather called activities that don’t serve the purpose of accomplishing your learning objectives “garbage activities“.
It takes time, intention and planning to pull together the right mix of activities that can both engage your learners and lead to true behavior change. If you like the idea of bringing activities into your next training workshop but don’t have the time to put together an effective plan, you may want to give Soapbox a try.
If you feel like all you need is some inspiration and some new ideas, hopefully you’ll find some in the activity links above.
Maybe the activities themselves aren’t the answer at all. What are some ways you’ve been able to generate employee training that is both engaging and leads to change?