There are plenty of courses you can take, books to read, certificate or even master’s level programs to study, but a new training designer may need quick resources to provide some quick guidance. They don’t have the time to read a book or the money to complete a course. Following is a list of quick reference resources (articles, podcasts), activity ideas and job aids for someone who just needs a crash course and some resources to get started as a training designer.
What is Adult Learning Theory (and why might I want to know a bit about it when designing training)?
- Podcast, with Transcription (approx. 10 mins): What is Adult Learning?
How can I write Learning Objectives (and how can they help me create engaging learning)?
- Podcast, with Transcription (approx. 7 mins): Writing Effective Learning Objectives
How can I organize a session using a lesson plan?
- Podcast, with Transcription (approx. 11 mins): Key Components of a Training Lesson Plan
- Lesson Plan Template for Adult Learners (article and downloadable template)
What is a simple model I can use to create engaging, effective training?
- Podcast, with Transcription (approx. 11 mins): A 4-step Training Design Model
What are some activities I can use to engage people in training?
- Podcast, with Transcription (approx. 12 mins): Giving Intention to the Sequence and Flow of Your Training Activities
- An Anchor Activity in Every Presentation (article with activity ideas)
- How do we squeeze all of our content in when time is limited? (article/case study)
- Throw Away Your Garbage Activities (article)
- 20 Training Activities in a Simple Training Model (article with activity ideas)
- Podcast (approx. 10 mins): 5 Engagement Strategies for Training
Is there a difference between “engaging” training and “effective” training?
- Podcast, with Transcription (approx. 8 mins): Is there a difference between “engaging” training and “effective” training?
How do I know if the training was successful?
- For and Against 12 Training Evaluation Metrics (article)
- Podcast, with Transcription (approx. 15 mins): Training Measurement Demystified
If you’re new the field of L&D or are ready to make the transition into an L&D career, the L&D Pro Academy has a Fundamentals of L&D course that is designed to help you build the skills you need to be successful and feel confident in your new role.